Donahue Dental Can Fit You for Full Dentures
For patients with missing teeth, Donahue Dental provides full dentures. Complete dentures are beneficial for individuals with very few or no remaining natural teeth because of health conditions or accidents. They will improve appearance and functionality, allowing wearers to smile without hesitation, chew properly, and speak clearly. Our team of dental professionals is happy to meet with you to discuss your options for improving oral health. We will explain the benefits of various types of dentures and the process of creating them. Call us today to schedule a consultation.
Full Dentures Replace an Entire Arch of Missing Teeth
As their name would suggest, full dentures can replace an entire arch of missing teeth, either on your top or bottom jaw. They include a flesh-colored acrylic base that will fit snugly over your gums to minimize or eliminate any shifting. An upper denture covers the roof of one’s mouth, while the lower denture has a horseshoe shape that will not impede the use of your tongue. Dentures are far from one size fits all, however. Our highly-trained team will customize your dentures in a laboratory to form an ideal fit with your mouth.
Donahue Dental Will Make an Impression of Your Mouth
To ensure your complete dentures are perfect for you, we will schedule an appointment at our office to take an impression of your mouth. This appointment will also include x-rays if needed and a thorough oral exam. After determining the exact dimensions of your mouth, we will send them to a laboratory so that a unique set of full dentures can be made for you. This consultation will also help us determine which type of denture is best for you.
Various Types of Full Dentures Available
There are three main types of complete dentures available through Donahue Dental. Our team of professionals will provide whichever is best for your circumstances. The styles include:
- Conventional full denture – Conventional dentures are made and situated in your mouth after any remaining teeth have been removed and the tissues have healed. This may not be a viable option until several months after tooth removal.
- Immediate full denture – This style is placed immediately following tooth removal and is only an option if your measurements were taken during a previous visit. This option means you never have to go without teeth, but they must be relined after several months because the underlying bone reshapes as it heals.
- Overdenture – If some of your teeth are salvageable and can preserve your jawbone while offering stability, we can fit an overdenture on your few remaining teeth.
The Learning Process Associated with Full Dentures
For a short while after starting to wear dentures, they may feel awkward or uncomfortable. It will likely take a bit of practice before you can chew or speak comfortably. They may feel loose or bulky, but that is not unusual. However, if you experience significant irritation, let our team know so we can evaluate your situation and provide a solution. Within weeks, your comfort level should begin to grow, and you will be confident wearing your complete dentures.
Caring for Your Complete Dentures in St. Charles, MO
As with most things, you can increase the lifespan of complete dentures with proper care and maintenance. After a while, they will need to be relined, rebased, or remade as a result of typical wear, but you can prolong their use by:
- Handling with care – Dentures are delicate, so be certain to handle them gently and always over a folded towel or basin of water.
- Keeping them moist – When you remove your dentures to sleep, place them in a soaking solution or plain water to ensure they do not dry out.
- Brushing daily – Treat full dentures like you would your regular teeth. Brush them to remove food deposits, plaque, and stains.
- Brushing your gums – By using a soft-bristled brush before inserting your full dentures, you will stimulate circulation in your tissues and help remove plaque.
- Calling Donahue Dental with any issues – If your dentures chip, crack, or loosen, call us for assistance. Attempting to adjust them at home could damage them.
Contact Donahue Dental for Full Dentures Today
Dr. Donahue is a licensed prosthodontist, so you can rest assured he will provide exceptional oral health care and effective full dentures. The compassionate staff at Donahue Dental will help ensure your comfort throughout the process, from the initial consultation through successful placement. We will help you restore a healthy, functional smile you will be proud to display. Contact us today to learn more about how we can help.
- Digital Charting
- Financing Options
- Advanced Technology
- Comprehensive Oral Care
- Advanced Specialty Training
- Diagnosis, Treatment Planning
- Warm, Relaxed, Fun and Friendly Atmosphere